Friday, August 13, 2010

Flowers, check!

I Love Flowers.

During the growing season, I love having fresh flowers in the house (and try not to kill those growing outside...). I am lucky to have a fiance who caters to my obsession and buys them for me ALL the time. They're usually inexpensive farmers market flowers like zinnias and sunflowers, which also happen to be my favorites (who said I have champagne taste?!?!). 

Originally Matt and I planned a September wedding and I was looking forward to making a hand-tied, rustic little bouquet of zinnias. Something with beautiful oranges and reds like this:

But unfortunately, we moved the wedding to February when zinnias, along with many, many other flowers are NOT in season. Boooo!

Although we are having a winter wedding, I was surprised by the number of flowers that are actually in season. Tulips, hydrangea, roses, ranunculus... typical and traditional, but lovely. I have decided on the following bouquets:
A base of aqua hydrangea like these:

It's not quite turquoise, but it's as close as the flowers can get. Turquoise flowers do NOT exist in nature. There I go picking the wrong flowers. Oops!

Add into the bridesmaids hydrangea base red roses and yellow spray roses.


And for my hydrangea base we'll be adding red anemone, yellow ranunculus and ivory hypernicum.


I'm sure at this point many of you are questioning my taste in flowers/color combos, but in my head it looks fabulous and two of the florists I met with got REALLY excited by the color and flower selections. Keep in mind that the hydrangea is a base and will be broken up by the other flowers inserted into it's larger blooms. Basically, there won't be much of the blue left in the end.


Selecting A Florist
As for the florist I chose one that is pretty new to the Columbus area, but well known among Dayton brides. The Flowerman is a unique concept... it helps brides "do it yourself" and cut down the cost of flowers. Basically a bride works with their consultant to pick and plan the flowers. Then, a day or two before their wedding, they come into the Flowerman with a few friends and, with the help of their consultant, put together bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres with the flowers they selected. Based on the quotes I received, it's about 1/2 the price of a traditional florist AND you have their help and support while you DIY it!

If you think you might be interested in the Flowerman, I highly recommend taking one of their bouquet making classes ahead of time. For around $20 you get 2 dozen roses, a 3 hour class in making all-things-wedding and a taste of what doing your own flowers will be like. I took the class a couple of weeks ago to make sure my allergies wouldn't go crazy if I did them myself. I was fine!

1 comment:

nicole said...

1. Red and Aqua, LOVE IT!
2. I've never heard of that before, our flowers were so expensive and though I loved them, I would have loved to save some money and put together the bouquets ourselves!