Thursday, July 1, 2010

I Like You

miss fancy pants (the bride) posted the readings they are including in their wedding ceremony on her blog today and one of them really touched me. I hope she doesn't mind that I share it here as well.

I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg

I like you
And I know why
I like you because
You are a good person
To like

When I think something is important
You think it's important too

When I say something funny
You laugh I think I'm funny and
You think I'm funny too
Hah-hah

You know how to be silly
That's why I like you
Boy are you ever silly
I never met anybody sillier than me
till I met you
I like you because
You know when it’s time to stop being silly

Maybe day after tomorrow
Maybe never

Oops too late
It’s quarter past silly
If I am a goofus on the roofus
Hollering my head off
You are one too

That's because
You really like me
You really like me
Don't you?
And I really like you back

And you like me back
And I like you back
And that's the way we keep on going
Every day
If you find two four-leaf clovers
You give me one
If I find four I give you two
If we only find three
We keep on looking
Sometimes we have good luck
And sometimes we don't

I like you because I don't know why but
Everything that happens
Is nicer with you
I can't remember when I didn't like you
It must have been lonesome then
I like you because…. Because….. because….
I forget why I like you
But I do
So many reasons
Even if it was way down at the bottom of January
Even if it was no place particular in January
I would go on choosing you
And you would
go on choosing me
Over and over again

That's how it would happen every time
I don't know why
I guess I don't know why I like you really
I guess I just like you…..
I guess I just like you…..

Because I like you


Thank you so much for sharing, miss fancy pants. It's a lovely poem and I would threaten to steal it for our ceremony, except that I'm pretty sure we are limited to scripture in a traditional Catholic mass. Too bad!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I really like that! Maybe you could print it on a program for your wedding?

The Budget Bride said...

great poem! You're the winner of my Custom Printables giveaway! Email me at idobudgetweddings(at)gmail(dot)com to claim your prize. You have three days to respond. I didn't see an email address where I can reach you in your comments, so I hope you find this in time!